LOW VISCOSITY, NON SETTLING, EPOXY RESIN CASTING SYSTEM FOR FAST GEL ROOM TEMPERATURE CURE
PROTAVIC XLN-489 is a filled, 100% solids epoxy resin casting system for general purpose casting and encapsulation. The unique proprietary filler system provides improved thermal transfer, lower shrinkage and shock resistance. The silicate filler has been intimately suspended to retard settling by intrinsic dispersion (developed by PROTAVIC for micro-module encapsulation–see PROTAVIC 4583) and the ultimate suspension of filler provides uniform properties throughout the mass of cured resin.
PROTAVIC XLN-470 is a specifically formulated system which provides excellent adhesion to many vinyl substrates. The system may be used to adhere vinyl films in outdoor equipment and in other highly plasticized films. PROTAVIC XLN-470 has wide application in electrical potting and in tying down and sealing vinyl coated wires in electrical apparatus. Additional uses are for vinyl tiles, base boards and pipe.
PROTAVIC XLN-489 is available in standard Metachrome colors. The handling properties of PROTAVIC XLN-489 may be varied by selection of other curing agents.
PROTAVIC XLN-489 is specifically recommended for encapsulation of coils, chokes, transformers, solenoids, resistors, logic modules, and similar applications where outstanding environmental and stress protection of circuit elements is mandatory.
OUTSTANDING FEATURES OF PROTAVIC XLN-489
● Viscosity low enough to provide bubble free pouring.
● Filler intimately suspended by intrinsic dispersion process.
● Non-settling filler – no hard residues, no excessive stirring.
● Non-settling filler provides uniform properties throughout the cured mass.
● Gels, hardens and cures at room temperature.
DIRECTIONS FOR USE
1.Weigh into separate containers 100 parts of PROTAVIC XLN-489 and 10 parts of HARDENER 25.
2. Activate the PROTAVIC XLN-489 by adding the catalyst slowly, stirring constantly to insure uniform mixing.
3. Allow entrapped air to rise or use vacuum to de-air mixture. Pour as required into forms, molds or encapsulation shells. (To insure free release from molds, use METAPART 7521 silicone liquid or METAPART 7582 fluorotelomer.
GEL TIME AND CURE CYCLE
1. Gel time (100 g mass) of PROTAVIC XLN-489 catalyzed with HARDENER 25 is 15 minutes. Gel time for a 2 g mass is 90 minutes.
2. Cure schedule. Select either room temperature cure for 24 hours or 16 hrs at 77°F plus 2 hours at 212°F.
TYPICAL PROPERTIES OF FULLY CURED PROTAVIC XLN-489 WITH HARDENER 25
|Shrinkage linear, in/in||SPI||0.007|
|Filler content, %||—||50|
|Specific Gravity, 25°C/25°C||D792||1.65|
|Tensile Strength, psi||D638||10000|
|Flexural Strength, psi||D790||15000|
|Compressive Strength, psi||D695||13000|
|Durometer Hardness, Shore D||D785||87|
|Expansion Coefficient, /°C||D696||48 x 10-6|
|Deflection Temperature, °C||D648||50|
|Operating Temperature Range, °C||Protavic||-55 to 125|
|Water Absorption (24 hr boil), %||Protavic||0.2|
|Weight Loss (24 hr at 300°F), %||1.3|
|Dielectric Strength, V/mil||D149||440|
|Volume Resistivity ( 25°), ohm-cm||D257||1.5 x 1016|
|( 65°)||4.2 X 1013|
|( 93°)||1.8 X 1011|
|Dieletric Constant (106 Hz, 25°)||D150||4.2|
|Dissipation Factor (106 Hz, 25°)||D150||0.024|
TYPICAL PROPERTIES OF UNCURED PROTAVIC XLN-489 AND HARDENER 25
|Specific Gravity, 25°C/25°C||1.65||1.08|
|Flash Point (COC), °F||125||285|
Technical information and recommendations made by Protavic America, Inc. concerning products and uses or applications hereof, are based on reliable laboratory tests and are believed to be accurate. No warranty, however, is expressed or implied, or is any warranty expressed or implied as to results to be obtained from use of said materials, whether used singly or in combination with other products. No statements made are to be construed as constituting a license under any existing patent.